It seems like everyone does a mid-year list of favorites, and I guess I should be no different. I had planned to keep it simple, 10 songs with a quick one liner about the song and why I liked it, but that went out the window once I scanned my hard drive. Ugh, I could probably do a top 50 if pressed, but will keep it to 20 songs to keep the snoring to a minimum.
In ranking the songs, the only real requirements I had was that it had to be released in 2014 in the US, and that the artist(s) was an indie act or unsigned. Tonight, I'll start the countdown at #20 and stop at #16, and then tomorrow I'll pick it back up with #15. On to the music.
20. Vacancy by Great Cop - The Glasgow 4-piece band hit their stride with this quick blast of punk with an existential heart.
19. Animal by Blood Red Shoes - The Brighton, England two-piece trots out another tight infectious tune. A serious earworm.
18. No Dog by Esben and the Witch - Dark and brooding, the soundtrack to your next nightmare. New LP out this September, this track made the cut.
17. In the Rain by Cut Ribbons - Welsh band Cut Ribbons plays to its strengths, fantastic male/female harmonies, and puts out their most balanced work to date. Pop music at it's best.
16. Killer Bangs by Honeyblood - Fuzzed up jangly power pop from the Glasgow 2-piece band on everyone's buzz list. Their debut LP is out this week.
Tune in tomorrow for selections 11 to 15.