During my time away from Aimless Skylarking, I was supposed to break away and do some great things. I did just that, I really did. And I had fun with it all. But, I couldn't entirely detach from what brought me so much joy, this website. It's a part of me, music defines me, and I've met so many fantastic people because of Aimless Skylarking. That said, I couldn't entirely neglect the place, I just let a coat of dust protect what I'd created, and hoped I'd find a burst of inspiration in the days away. And it did, good music always find me, or vice versa.
Ok, are you ready for a true story?
Of course, you must be thinking, wait, what? Aren't all the stories at Aimless Skylarking true. As far as you know they are.
In late July, I'd had enough of a break from here, but I couldn't bring myself to write anything. I was reading all the submissions and listening when I could, and found myself in quite a dilemma. There were several submissions that I couldn't rightly pass on. So here was my script for one late July evening.
1. Drink several Belgian Trappist beers.
2. Get sentimental about life and all that encompasses our time here on earth.
3. Listen to Julien Baker's devasting 'Sprained Ankle' 25-30 times consecutively, become overwhelmed and openly cry a few times.
4. Shed more tears because of the awakened emotions, and the beautiful metaphors Julien's lovely pained tale spoke of.
5. Drunkenly send Facebook friend request to Julien.
Of the 5 items listed above, the only one that makes me giggle a bit is #5. Much to my surprise, the next morning, the friend request was accepted. Thanks, Julien! Please keep creating great art in whatever form, you have a gift.
Yet, despite all the levity, 'Sprained Ankle' devastates me, its sentiment racks me to the core. And to you, faithful readers of Aimless Skylarking please welcome a new addition to my so called late night lonely song club, stream 'Sprained Ankle' below.